Monday, May 24, 2010

And The Winner Is................

Me......This turned out to be the best deal I think I ever made for a Motorcycle. And I have bought and sold a lot of bikes. After selling the XS, I  bought the FJ1100 you see pictured here and had a hundy left over. Actually, the ad for this bike prompted me to list the XS. The seller had it listed as a one owner twenty one thousand mile bike that ran fine over two thousand rpm but would not idle due to lack of use the last couple of years. The ad also stated that you should bring a trailer with you to take it home. As usual, he had only one picture, but it was a clear one and the bike looked good.
I figured the jets were gummed up and a good cleaning was all that was needed, so I set a time to check out the bike. I gave Jimmy Jam a ring and asked if he would be interested in accompanying me to check out this bike. Being a complete bike nut like me, he signed right up. We borrowed the Sargent’s trailer and made hay to the sellers place. When he opened his garage door I had a difficult time staying cool. This bike was ten times nicer than I thought it was. He indeed was the original owner, and stated this bike had never been ridden in the rain or even down a dirt road. He wasn’t kidding, because there in his garage parked right in front of me was the nicest and cleanest twenty five year old bike I had ever seen. This bike may even bee the nicest 1985 FJ1100 on the planet. There isn’t even any dust on it, not under the seat, around the motor under the gas tank, anywhere. It’s like this guy bought it, sealed it in an air tight room and did not ride unless it was the clearest and brightest day of the month. And for that I thank him, this is basically a new bike.
I could have probably rode it home because the ride was expressway for the most part. Just as he stated in the ad, it would not idle, but ran like a really fast sewing machine once the rev counter swang past two grand. We made a deal, rolled it onto the trailer and set sail back to the old garage. J.J. and I took the tank and side covers off and proceeded to check the carbs over. The Slug showed up about this time and we pulled the carbs. Once the float bowls were off the main jets were indeed a little gummed up. We cleaned them with carb cleaner along with the needle jets, blew a bit of compressed air though the works, threw the enchilada back together and presto, it now idles just fine.
I believe the ad stating to bring a trailer with you may have scared off most of the potential suitors and allowed me to get my dirty little hands on this bike. You see these types ads all the time, ran great when I parked it, it won’t run, but I think it’s an easy fix, I bought the parts and never got around to installing them. And if you have ever had the courage to follow up on most of these ads what you will usually find is a lump of shit that would make a better boat anchor than a motorcycle. I took a chance on this one and was rewarded with the absolute best used bike I have ever had the pleasure of purchasing at a price so low I still can’t believe it and I gave him his asking price. So the moral of this story is, if you wade through the shit listed on Craigslist, hidden between all the turds and toilet paper, there are a few rare gems out there to be had. I am now going to take my new sweetheart for a blast up Woodward to Wide Track and back, Life is good.


Till Next Time..................

3 comments:

Stuman714 in Indy said...

Sweet man! An old friend had one new back in the day and it was a super, and super fast and great handling bike. Damn that thing is clean!
Congrats and have fun!

Grumpyunk said...

Damn Gymi! That's a sweet bike. Nice when things fall into place like that.

Gymi said...

One look at this bike and I forgot all about that ZX10. It was like the planets aligned for me. No paint for this one though, I like it like it is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...